Monday, June 21, 2010

Mission Statement: Now With 100% Extra Bitterness

Lately, I've had the ol' Power Rangers on my mind. For most people of my generation, the Power Rangers are an indelible part of our childhood, like Pogs, or Crystal Pepsi. There's just one problem:

Power Rangers basically sucked.

Let's face it, the entire franchise was a brilliant ploy by an Israeli billionaire to somehow profit off footage he had acquired from Japan by inserting what amounted to clumsy framing sequences featuring some of the worst acting you've ever seen. And it worked.

Recently, Linkara (an internet personality of some reknown) started a series recounting the history of the Power Rangers. It currently projects to be roughly 20 hours long, and includes sections where he pontificates on the "themes" of each season as well as discusses fan theories that resolve plot holes. Suffice to say, this blog is going to take a different tack.

This blog will eventually chronicle every episode of Power Rangers, featuring bitter, bitter commentary on every stupid plot twist, every special effects failure, and every piece of bad acting (that last one's going to come up a lot). Why, you might ask? Well, I had originally written a lengthy explanation that drew upon JFK's famous speech at Rice University, but let's just go with, "because I can."

On a final note, there currently exists a site called rangerrecaps, who had basically the same idea as me, but started their blog several months before me. On the one hand, they're more competent than me, and started earlier. On the other, there are no rules on the internet. Still, in deference to them, I have decided to start with Power Rangers Turbo.

Well, that, and because I don't want to wait two hundred episodes to make fun of Justin. And boy, oh boy, am I going to make fun of Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment